Leicester Corporation Electricity Department
Meeting the Electricity Needs of a Growing City
By 1930 demand for electricity was growing rapidly. Leicester Corporation Electricity Department, which had a showroom on Market Street, was in urgent need of new accommodation so moved into the Municipal Offices in 1938.
The new building was provided with a model kitchen, which was “regularly visited by housewives who are interested in the modern uses of electricity in the home”. A demonstration theatre was also used for cookery demonstrations as well as lectures and films. Three large murals in the entrance hall depicted the latest electrical apparatus and household electrical items. These have been restored and are displayed in the old demonstration theatre.
East Midlands Electricity Board
In 1947, following nationalisation of the industry, the Electricity Department offices and showrooms were taken over by the Leicester Sub-Area of the East Midlands Electricity Board. A Service Centre displayed, hired and sold electrical goods, with trained staff to instruct customers in the use of appliances.